Thursday, June 7, 2012

"Struggling with Sin"

So while trying to write this post I'm attempting to not dance and bob too much to Envy which is a fantastic song p.s. and is quite catchy.

Anyways, I was scanning through my Bible while still pondering some thoughts given to me based upon The Pure Heart Movement, and came across these verses.

Romans 7:7-25
"7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”[a] 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. 11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

13 Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[b] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[c] a slave to the law of sin."

Yeah I know it was rather long, but honestly I felt like Abba was really trying to show me something pertaining this fast I'm doing. Before I've had people try to tell me that when I try to, well, "curve my bad behavior" sort to speak, that it was unnecessary because I am free from sin in Christ. And I sit there and think, that doesn't make sense to me. Of course I should try to change my thoughts, my actions, my "sinning", doesn't the Bible say to be more like Jesus?

I was so very confused one night and sat there going Abba, why does this not make any sense to me? Why do I feel like this is so wrong? Why does the idea that I'm saved by sin and so shouldn't try to fight spiritually or physically, depending on the person talking to me, make any sense. Shouldn't we be fighting for both since we are both physical and spiritual beings? Then He seemed to pose some thoughts for me.

We know that we are free from sin, but I think what makes more sense is that spiritually we are free from sin. Our souls are no longer condemned, Satan does not have a hold over us spiritually. But if he did not have a hold over us physically then technically wouldn't we be perfect beings once we accepted Christ? With no sickness and no sinning? Obviously this is not a true fact, and so now I look back at the passage in Romans.

...I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law...We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin... Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me...

So, in other words, we desire good because God has put that desire in us, as the Spirit is in us also, but our bodies are controlled by sin, by Satan. Although we desire to do good, we cannot because we are sinful. I feel that doing something like the fast I'm currently trying to do is then perfectly justified. I am attempting to rid the physical things that often tempt me to sin. I know I am free from sin, but I wish to do good. I then work on doing good physically and allow God to work in me spiritually to aid in this process. For our spiritual and physical beings are very much connected just as they are separate.

Wow that seems super philosophical now that I look back at it, it's like reading my textbook all over again!

This is definitely a difficult concept for my brain to fully understand but I feel that God has shown me at least enough of a glimpse to show that
1. We need to follow the law and the commandments for it affects how we are spiritually in our walk and
2. We should be conscientious in how we react physically in our daily lives, because we know that we desire to do good, but cannot, and so must take action in order to protect our souls and continue to follow the path God has for us in our faith.

What do you think? I'd love to hear any ones thoughts about this concept especially since I feel that I'm only brushing the surface.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment