Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lust... It's Not Just for Men...

Sometimes I wonder if people are really honest with themselves...

Seriously...

Since when are men the only ones who are full of lust? I think often we push lust off onto men, saying they are so full of it and make them seem like horny messes, and forget that lust is a universal thing. Men, women, gay, straight...

We've all lusted after that cute older guy in our class; or that actor who embodies all we think a man should be (.... Ryan Reynolds *cough cough*). So then why do we not address what can be hurting our pure hearts, our relationships, our lives as living as single women?

Here's the deal. I am incredibly lustful. Most of my friends know this is something I struggle with. I have dealt with horrible nightmares involving sex and lust since I was about 7 or 8, and it's awful. Why? Because I want to be pure. I want to not hinder my brothers in Christ, including the significant other in my life. I want to be able to not feel dirty.

Yeah, I may not have physically done a whole lot to "ruin" my purity, but NEWSFLASH, purity is more than just a physical thing. It's very much emotional and spiritual. This is something I've been learning for the past few years.

I've been thinking about how awesome I often feel a Christian guy is when he looks away from the TV screen when something like a Victoria's Secret commercial comes on. Some of my friends and I look at the guys in our life and say "Thanks!" and then try to help distract them with some sort of conversation to help out. But then I was thinking about women...

Yeah I like to have those girl's nights when we sit around watching movies with "hawt guys", and making comments on which one we think is the most attractive. But then I started to think, wait a second! How can I, as a Christian sister, tell my brothers Hey thanks for not goggling that half naked woman on TV and then turn around and goggle at some half naked guy. Wow. I feel like a hypocrite.

But seriously ladies, let's look at this for what it is, lust. We are lusting after that attractive, toned, adorable, funny, etc. guy on TV. I think it's about time we own up to it and realize, it's poisoning our hearts. I'm not saying that when an attractive guy suddenly pops up on the TV half naked that you should freak out. But maybe we should stop and think Ok well, yeah he's attractive, but I'm going to try to not stare at him or chatter away at my friends how I want to just eat his face off. Don't let the lust overtake you. Because it most definitely can. And it only brings guilt and that desire to have that perfect bit of man candy rather than the man God has in store for you.

And as for that man God has for you? He'll probably be far more attractive because he's the spiritual leader in your life and loves you for you. Isn't that what we really want?

No comments:

Post a Comment